Friday, July 8, 2011

"For what avail the plough or sail, or land or life, if freedom fail?" ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

I hope everyone enjoyed their 4th of July holiday, celebrating the USA's independence in unique ways. We had a lovely visit with relatives, popping into downtown Baltimore and Rehoboth Beach for a couple days; then shopping at the mall in lieu of DC sites! Walking with AC is a little better than 95 degree muggy weather. At a cute little snowcone/ice cream stand on a rural road, this immense solid tree was decorated simply for the 4th. I couldn't resist snapping a few shots. I've been coveting a string of garden lights like these, but I haven't yet decided on the best place to hang them.

I'm not an overly patriotic person but it doesn't mean I'm un-American. I'd like to think I'm just not showy about it. Having visited the National Archives last year and surprisingly teary-eyed when viewing the Declaration of Independence, it's overwhelming to think of how courageous one must be to separate from a governing power that gives you so much but also withholds. It takes sacrifices, many of which can be physically and psychologically crippling, or even fatal. But I'd like to think it's that courageous first step, that line you must cross to decide you are in the "against" category. I celebrate what our ancestors have done, what our current Americans do everyday to maintain it, and I sympathize with those that are making their first attempts at independence (I'm looking at you, Middle Eastern countries). Stand up for what you believe in. 

As usual, we have another busy weekend ahead of us, much to my cats' dismay (especially the one peeing on the floor!). Little bro gets to go to his college orientation before starting in the fall. I'll be sure to take pictures to share. Hubby and I will be camping at a nearby park --who knows, maybe I'll have time to sketch!



No comments:

Post a Comment